Saturday, May 31, 2008

Knowledge or Heart?

If I were to ask someone on the street, or a new Christian what they think the nature of God is; I would think they would initially say love.
If I were to ask them does God preordain people to go to hell, I would think they would say of course not.
If I asked was God ultimately behind all the evil in the world, I doubt they would say yes.
If I asked them does God make us do things and then hold us morally responsible for them, again I doubt they'd say 'why of course he does'.
If I asked them did Jesus die for the whole world or just a chosen few, I would think they would maybe think to the most popular verse in the bible and say 'For God so loved the WORLD that he gave his only begotten son'.

Anyways, perhaps you can see where I'm going with this. I've been thinking a lot lately about why people believe in the God of Calvinism (they would say the God of scripture - I disagree!). I'm often quoted Spurgeon who said "I have my own opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."
I don't think new christians believe in it, or people who have a general interest in God believe in it, so why is that after some people go to a bible college they become calvinists. What is it about these places that change peoples view of God so much. Obviously churches have a huge influence on people aswell and a lot of churches teach this theology. What is it about knowledge that can usurpe what the heart tells us? It is such a radically different way of thinking about my Father than mine and I'm trying so hard to understand why people believe in it, and I wonder does their heart follow their head, or do they block their heart to the ultimate truths of their knowledge of calvinism.

1 comment:

D.J. Williams said...

Thanks for the comment on my post. I hope in some small way it helps to demonstrate how my calvinistic theology operates when "the rubber meets the road."