Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Kite Runner


"I dream that my son will grow up to be a good person, a free person. I dream that someday you will return to revisit the land of our childhood. I dream that flowers will bloom in the streets again... and kites will fly in the skies!"

I saw Kite Runner last night following a recommendation from my brother. It's a great movie with a wonderful story. It's the story of an Afghan refugee who lives in California and is remembering his childhood. A childhood with a emotionally distant yet dedicated father, a friend as devoted as a friend can be and kites. Wonderful colourful kites. He sets out to right some wrongs and what follows is a moving tale of courage and friendship, betrayal and redemption.

The film (based on the book of the same name) in some ways revolves around the premise of Edmond Burke's quote "The only thing needed for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing." Amir the main character witnesses something happening to his loyal and devoted friend Hassan and does nothing, this changes his life and years after he gets a chance to put things right.

“When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth.”

It is mixed with some historical revelation of what happened to Afghanistan with the Russian invasion and subsequent rise of the Taliban. It has made me want to read about their history. The history of a country can obviously reveal a lot about why they are what they are today.

I highly recommend checking this film out. If my wife tells you I had a tear running down my cheek it was purely down to my hayfeever - nothing else!!!


“Children aren’t coloring books. You don’t get to fill them with your favorite colors.”

No comments: