Friday, July 11, 2008

A heart like David or Michal?

I’ve been wondering, praying and reading about differing aspects of worship. What worship is, how we can do it and why we do it. I have heard a lot recently about what worship isn’t; it isn’t a time were we enter into the presence of God, it isn’t a time where we hear from God, it isn’t a time of spiritual warfare and it isn’t a time were we are to be particularly expressive as we may distract people!
In some ways it’s been really good to hear these things as it has made me really seek God as to what the role of worship is, individually and more important corporately.
I will explore more about the hows and whys of worship and it’s role in posts to come but in this one I want to talk about a woman called Michal and a man called David.
We don’t know much about the woman Michal, except that she was the daughter of King Saul and fell in love with David who became King after Saul. Michal loved David and even at one point helped him escape the wrath of her father. She became his wife.
We know plenty about David in the scriptures, above all he was a man after God’s own heart and was a worshipper. When the ark of the covenant was being brought into his city, he praised and worshipped the Lord. It says he "danced before the LORD with all his might".
Michal was disgusted. It says “she despised him in her heart”.
Why was this? Why was she so affronted by his leaping and dancing?
I think Michal was a little princess in a metaphorical sense as well as the reality of her postion as Sauls daughter. She also used her head too much. She was probably affronted at Davids lack of dignity. He was King of Israel and should act like it. She felt like a fool watching her husband act like one. David’s response in 2 Samuel 6:21-22 is so wonderful.

21 David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the LORD's people Israel—I will celebrate before the LORD. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor."

David nails her. Reminding her that her father and his “dignified” royal family were given the boot by God. What right does the daughter of an overthrown king have in telling the CHOSEN king how to act before his Lord? David was not afraid to delight in his Lord and the fact that he was favoured by God. `
I think so often we can become like Michal, concerned with how things appear rather than focusing on what God truly wants us to experience. Why are so many believers restrained and inhibited in their worship of King Jesus. It seems like a lot of people who focus on knowledge and the learning of God have forsaken the EXPERIENCE of God.
Are we willing to become undignified before the Lord? I so want to have a heart like this, a heart that doesn’t care what people think. One that isn’t ashamed of Jesus. A faith that will stand up to the Goliaths around me and give praise and adoration to the God who saves me from my enemies. A man who raises his hands, dances and sings praise to my Lord even when those around me don’t feel the freedom. God is worthy of all we have and sometimes it’s good to show others that.

3 comments:

Brendan said...

We are called to be fools for Christ, we are called to live our lives for him. This is not exclusive to music and dancing in a congregational context but this music and dance is an important form of worship. It is important that it is part of the worship though, and not just a display because of cultural or situational norms and suppositions. At the same time, it is important that those who chose not to dance and jump and shout and sing respect those that do and delight in their open and joyous worship.

Carrie said...

Loved reading what you feel in your heart. I believe becoming like David is something everyone should practice. God's desire is to be worshiped. I love to worship and I am now teaching my own chidren to worship. Worship takes me into a whole new realm of life. I am able to leave my current circumstancs and go into the holy of holies. It refreshes me. I am able to give God what he wants and in return God gives me what I need. I have recieved so much in the spirit when I worship. I encourage everyone to take time to get out of self and make you and spectical for God. You will know him more and what he delights in. Carrie

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,