Saturday, July 19, 2008

Honey & Frankincense

Honey is sweet and pleasant smelling. Frankincense is a resin; a yellow unattractive lump.

Honey is not acceptable as a burnt offering to the Lord

you are not to burn...honey in an offering made to the LORD by fire.
Leviticus 2:11


Frankincense is however.


And thou shalt put pure frankincense upon each row, that it may be on the bread for a memorial, even an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
Leviticus 24:7


This is a reminder to me of how I approach the Almighty God in worship. If I come like honey, sweet talking God and trying to look pretty and acceptable; I will become like honey on his fire. A sticky black mess.
If I come like frankincense, knowing I am in and of myself unworthy and unattractive and neutral smelling without his fire; I will become a beautiful fragrance as a result of HIS fire. His refining fire.
We need to be ourselves when we come to him.

No comments: