Saturday, August 23, 2008

Metallica - Marley Park, Dublin August 20th 2008




At last I got to see Metallica. I turned up at Marley Park with no ticket a frustrating long hour and a half searching for someone with a spare one followed. I made 'friends' with some dude who was about 55. My new friend turned out to be a policeman who got me in for free!! It pays to be nice.

Tenacious D supported them and they were very entertaining, although I was mildly disturbed by their continued comical references to Satan. Most of their songs aren't particularly good, but they're funny blokes.

Metallica came on at about 9 and played for a solid two hours. They played a cracking setlist. Very old school. They didn't play anything from my favourite album 'Load', and they played just one from 'reload', the memory remains which wouldn't have been the one I'd have picked from that album. But anyways, highlights for me were starting with Creeping Death, or how James Hetfield would say it "Careeeepingg Deeeaaathhh-A'. What a way to start the show. 'For whom the bell tollz' next, i LOVE that song, great cliche crowd participation. Ride the Lightning was the business, some dude beside me nearly lost his life (pardon the pun) when they started to play it. Sanitarium, from the first harmonic note; it made me want to beat the head of someone. Obviously in a christian way! Cyanide is a new song, a good one too. Great bass line. I did think Frantic from St. Anger was a good song, it is but the rest of the album bar one other song is rubbish. Fade to black - what a tune. 'Are you ready my friends?' James hetfield is like a parody of himself; he should be in spinal tap. 'Metallifans, we have a big Metallica family in Dublin - we love you!'. Master, Master, where's those dreams that I've been after - i LOVED that song. Fist pumping galore!! Good to see them whip out whiskey in the jar for us Irish folk. Great cover of the Thin Lizzy classic. Nothing Else Matters amused me, because all these big giant hairy blokes around me screaming their heads off when they heard the first notes being played of a ballad! Sad But True, One and Enter Sandman all in a row is enough to give a man a heart attack. I won't mention Last Caress or So What cause I'm not a fan of those songs. Seek Destroy was a good cliche way to finish.
All in all I LOVED the show and would definitely see them again.


Creeping Death
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Ride The Lightning
The Memory Remains
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Cyanide
…And Justice For All
The Four Horsemen
Fade To Black
Master Of Puppets
Whiskey In The Jar
Nothing Else Matters
Sad But True
One
Enter Sandman
------------------------
Last Caress
So What
Seek And Destroy