Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ambiguity in worship

Today I was going through songs for worship tomorrow night. As I was flicking through my folder I came across "I could sing of your love forever" a staple worship song that has been sung in churches for well over 10 years and will continue to be sung for another 100 years no doubt. It's a great melody and a good song however I always forget just how ridiculous the bridge is.
"Oh I feel like dancing,
it's foolishness I know,
but when the world has seen the light,
they will dance with joy like we're dancing now"

When read, it's sounds like a good old cliche bridge in a upbeat worship song, however when sung it's nearly like a dirge. It's sung like the last thing one wants to do is dance. I hope the light doesn't have that effect on people! God bless Martin Smith but I definitely think that this is one time when it doesn't particularly make sense for him, or us!
Check out 2:46 in the video to understand what I'm talking about.