Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bell x1 Vicar Street, Dublin November 11th 2008



Vicar Street is a great venue, especially for seated gigs. The only slight problem is you sit at a small table with three other people. I was with Jane so we were wondering who the two strangers would be that would sit strangely close to us. We were sitting there having a lovely time with our drinks when behind us I hear a familiar voice say “I think this is table 26”; we both turn around and there’s two friends, Ross & Lucy who we haven’t seen in ages. It was such a wonderful surprise. We had a great time catching up and being encouraged hearing their story of their journey with God over the last while. Good times.
The gig itself was absolutely brilliant. We loved it. The first 3 songs nearly sent us over the edge. A lovely way to start a show. They played 7 new songs, they’re the ones with a star beside them in the setlist I have written below. Mr. Noonan was playing a strange little guitar called a casio dg20 for a few of the new ones, the only other time I’ve seen one was on flight of the conchords! It’s a computerised guitar is the only way I can describe it.
Standout new tracks were 'blowins', 'one stringed harp', amelia' and 'is that all there is?'. All the familiar tracks were stellar.
If you don’t know Bell x1, get to know them. They are a cracking band and it’s great to hear their new material and like it. It’s got a familiar yet different feel to it, which is positive to know they’re progressing and not just sticking to the same old formula.


Pinball Machine
Just Like Mr. Benn
Rocky Took a Lover
How Your Heart is Wired*
The Great Defector*
My First Born For a Song
Blowins*
Bad Skin Day
One Stringed Harp*
The Ribs of A Broken Umbrella*
Flame
Amelia*
Eve, The Apple of my Eye
-----------------------
Next to You
Is That All There Is?*
I'll See Your Heart and I'll Raise You Mine