Monday, March 9, 2009

700km u-turn...




The last couple of days have been pretty eventful due to a cyclone called ‘Hamish’. I used to like the scottish! As I said in my previous post we were pretty much evacuated from a wonderful place called Kinka Beech. The poor owners were freaked that the storm was gonna come their way. Interesting as we were leaving the office she said ‘I was thinking about offering a prayer up to the good Lord but he can’t save everybody’; I told her he actually can and wants to and might surprise her. She looked bemused. It’s true though. Literally in every sense of the word.

We travelled about 500k south to a place called Hervey Bay. Something stupid and miraculous happened on the way there both through the same occurrence. We passed through a town and we noticed my petrol was at the empty end of the gauge, I figured there’d be a station very soon. How wrong was I. 30km up the road was a sign that the next town was 60k away and our petrol light had already been on for 15k. Oops. For those who know my story about running out of petrol in Paris on my own on my motorbike will appreciate my sense of deja vu. Although at least Jane is much better company and prettier than my motorbike and my attitude to asking God to hook us up was much different than it was then. Short story, God kept us going the 85k with our petrol gone. Seemingly small and insignificant I may hear some say but I love that God is in the small things and he works today as much as he ever has. Why he does stuff like that and doesn’t do other things I don’t know, but he’s good and for us and I’m forever grateful for that.

We have been thinking and talking a lot about suffering after hearing some stuff about what’s happening back home and also with the bushfires here and now a cyclone on the way and where is God in the midst of them. This post is not the place for theological musings but God is so much better than we think he is; we’re not going to get to heaven and say ‘Sorry Jesus for overestimating your love, grace, mercy, compassion, kindness and justice’. We’re going to realise that we radically underestimated him. He weeps with us, comforts us, and gives us more hope than we can possible imagine or understand. Life can truly bite because evil exists as a result of Lucifers pride and our sinfulness but God always responds with goodness. Always. It’s in his nature. I could go on forever but just know that truth. God is love and he is especially fond of you.

Hervey Bay isn’t the nicest place but the campsite was fantastic. Probably due to the fact that there were only 4 of us there and it was super clean. Everyone had cleared out the day before due to the storm warning. We found out that there was an evacuation procedure taking place in the very nearby Fraser Island as a result of the storm heading our way. We had a chillin evening and it was so nice that the temperature was fairly reasonable. We actually slept the whole night through without waking up countless times due to being outrageously hot and scratching! Jane scratching her bites and me scratching my still lingering eczema. Charming. Being super hot in a glorified hiace van and not being able to open the windows due to mosquito’s is no fun. Last night’s sleep was great though.

I couldn’t believe that the past week I haven’t been able to get to a music store. Not one in any town we’ve visited. Finally two days ago I got to one and was able to get U2’s new album. Liked it on first listen. Moment of Surrender is definitely the best song on the album. When I put it on though I though I had bought Kings Of Leon’s new album! Jane commented on the same. Anyone else get that? Anyways, I’m looking forward to listening to it some more. Although we’re enjoying Eoghan Heaslip, Hillsong United and Tim Hughes at the moment. Nothing better than a bit of worship tunes while driving. Good for the soul.

We're now back on the sunshine coast. Not very sunny at the moment but there's a great coffee shop here so we can chill out there and bring our books to read. The van can sometimes get a little claustrophobic. I forgot to mention that u2 are playing on my birthday in Croke Park, if anyone wants to get me a ticket as a present please feel free. Oh and they have a new album coming out on November 18th called 'Songs of Ascent'. You heard it here first.

2 comments:

Sandra Zaragoza said...

hey ferg! about your mosquito problem...a friend of mine lived in africa for 11years and never got bitten by a mosquito o.n.c.e... he is now in the south e of france and his flat attracts mosquitoes like honey attracts bees and still no bites!!! his secret is that he takes those "garlic pills" that apparently work as magic against the little droning beasts! try them! now all the best & keep safe, From Dublin, Sandra

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,