Monday, March 2, 2009

On the road again....

Some form of civilization at last. Not that that’s necessarily a good thing, but at least we have wi-fi for an hour. My communication with the outside world has been texts from my brother giving me the more than good news that Ireland beat England in the six nations; preceded by a mixed bag of Liverpool results which I don’t care to talk about. I’m determined to find a place that will show the last two six nations games wherever we may be. I can’t miss out seeing us do something we haven’t done in 60 odd years in winning the grand slam. Bring it.
So our travels have been so much fun. We picked up our ridiculous looking van just over a week ago and so far have done just under 2500km. That’s a lot of driving, taking in some cracking places along the way. Australia has surprised me in more ways than one. I guess the main thing that has surprised us is how many yokels there are. America is known for it’s many rednecks in the south and I’ve certainly met a few in my time but Australia is full of their own special breed of them, in pretty much every place we’ve been to since we left Melbourne.
Last night was a particularly good example of what we’ve found on our travels. We went out to get something to eat, pretty hungry after our 30 cent noodles for lunch; so we went to the only place open which was a local bowls club. In it was a chinese restaurant so as I have a penchant for Asian food I figured we’d check it out. Not that we had a choice but it’s always good to pretend you have. We walked in to a glorified game of bingo with 50 or so people who honestly looked liked they’d just come from a mullet convention. That was the ladies; the guys looked liked they’d come from a dodgy tash / worst clothes ever convention. It was outstanding citizenship. What was actually taking place was a ‘trivia night with added bonus of bingo night’. Clever slogan. The winners got to pick meat out of the fridge to take home with them. I’m telling the truth. When I went to get drinks at the bar I had to become a temporary member and receive a special card; something which I will treasure always. Food was actually pretty tasty.
After Jane had her dinner and we left the Mosquito’s then had their dinner which was Jane. They like her for some reason. They like me too, but not as much. And as I’ve unfortunately become used to trying not to scratch due to my being stricken with near on leprosy in December I’m used to it but poor Jane has some serious bites. Stinger; literally and metaphorically. Jane has found a new profession; ‘the mosquito hunter’. She’s like a ninja. We’ll be sitting outside the van drinking our cheap ribena and all of a sudden ‘BAM’ on some area of my body and clung to me will be the remnants of a mosquito. Ming. Although I’d rather a dead mosquito on me than a live one.
I wonder what stance animal lovers take on mosquito’s. Do they pet them? Do they let them eat them for lunch of do they secretly kill them and lament for days on the loss of a soul? They most definitely do not have souls. It baffles me that Jesus through whom all things were made thought it was a good idea to make mosquito’s. Perhaps they are the missing link in a devious form of evolution. Not like primordial soup to man, that’s just plain ridiculous but a nice little fly to an evil mosquito. s.i.n. as I’ve heard it called before, sin in nature.
I think the nicest place we’ve stayed in so far has been a place called Hawk’s nest. A great caravan park right beside the beach which it turned out we pretty much had to ourselves. So nice. It’s definitely times like those when I wish I had some of my new theology books that are sitting on my shelf at home waiting to be read and digested.
There’s a lot to be said for the simple life. No t.v., no newspapers, no internet. All we have is a bit of music and also 40 mins of west wing before we go to bed. I’m surprisingly really enjoying it. Although sometimes the lack of friends on the road can be a bit weird. Also no guitar is a huge shame but such is life.
I should probably stop here because most people don’t read blogs that are long so I’ll bid you farewell. I’ll try upload some photo’s when I get some batteries for my camera.

3 comments:

Peter Kirk said...

Mosquito lovers use those repellent things you plug into power sockets. I've had people tell me it is better to do that than to kill the little critters. And they do sort of work, inside - you should try one in your camper van. You need to keep a window open so they can get away, otherwise they just hang around feeling more angry than usual. But my attitude is that if it wants to harm me, I don't worry about harming it. Call it killing in self defence.

Sandra Zaragoza said...

love following you guys' adventures! :-) and all the pictures as well. keep safe on the road.. love from Dublin, sandra

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,