Friday, April 17, 2009

The Kindness of God

I've been overwhelmed with the kindness of God this week. In every aspect of life, from my tasty weetabix in the morning to the fact that for some reason he gave me the most incredible wife a man could wish for.
I remember talking to a guy a few months back about the book The Shack and he was disgusted about the portrayal of God in the book. God is a God of vengence and justice and retribution and holiness and righteousness and so on and so on. Why is is that so many need to continue to portray God as this distant 'holy' being who is only interested in His own glory. We are but filthy retched horrible cretins here for His pleasure we are told. God is so so much greater, loving, kind and compassionate than a machievelian archetype.
Romans 2:4 is such a wonderful scripture. So often we are told that we need to preach a gospel of fire and brimstone to bring people to God. Well what does Paul say leads us to repentance...

God's kindness leads you toward repentance


Joel 2:13 tells us

Rend your heart
and not your garments.
Return to the LORD your God,
for he is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and abounding in love,
and he relents from sending calamity.


Isaiah 54:8 tells us

...with everlasting kindness
I will have compassion on you,"
says the LORD your Redeemer.


We need to remember this more and more. We've been learning so much about how our understand of God influences how we act to those around us. When we realise the loving kindness of our Father we will be a people who will refrain from judgement and will endeavour to overcome evil with love. Bringing the love of Jesus into every aspect of our lives and to the lives of those around us.

The king asked, "Is there no one still left of the house of Saul to whom I can show God's kindness?"
2 Samuel 9:3

3 comments:

D.J. Williams said...

"Why is is that so many need to continue to portray God as this distant 'holy' being who is only interested in His own glory."Caricature alert.

Dude, I enjoy your thoughts and the point of this post, but seriously, why must you misrepresent your reformed bretheren to do it? I know a lot of Calvinists, and I'm one myself, but I don't know anybody who believes that God is distant or that he cares only about his own glory.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record. I like the blog, but statements like that frustrate me incredibly.

Ferg said...

Don't be sorry, I appreciate the comment. I didn't have anyone in mind particularly when I wrote that. It's a response to what I've heard a lot of people say and preach. It's very difficult for me to equate kindness to a God who ordains such awful catastrophe's for his own glory. Perhaps I misrepresent and I know it's a 'mystery' that we can't explain; how God may ordain a rape but the rapist is fully accountable and the victim must take joy in God's hand throughout it all. As we've discussed before I do not see that as the God of scripture. I genuinely apologise if I misrepresent you. I know I don't misrepresent certain teachings I've heard.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,