Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hebrews 11

“Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”


I love Hebrews 11. An amazing chapter about the hero's of the faith. Faith not just being belief, but faith being action. Realising that God is real and that he is more than worth living for and giving up everything for.
I love thinking upon and talking about the Old Testament characters. Myself and Jane have been doing a lot of Old Testament reading. However I've been struck by something. When I think about David I always think of him dancing like crazy for God, slaying lions and bears with his bare hands, defeating Goliath, being so raw and honest with God and so much more about this man after God's own heart BUT I always think about his failings too. Especially at the forefront of my thinking is his adultery and subsequent killing of an innocent man. When I think of Noah of course I think of the ark but I also think of him naked and drunk in a tent and his son Ham's discovery of him shamed. Moses missed out on the promised land, Sarah laughed at God, Jephtah made a stupid promise to God and had his daughter killed and so on and on and on.
The thing that is so remarkable about Hebrews 11 is that there is NO mention of the sins of these men and women. They are hailed for their faith. Infact it says in verse 39 that
the world was not worthy of them

Do you see how outrageous God is that He looks upon the faith of these people. Not the mistakes not the foolish things they did that grieved his heart. He's far above our human ways of looking at people. Like a Father with a child he thinks upon all the things that made him proud. That is how God is with us when we live a life of faith, earnestly chasing after Him for His glory and fame.
"I, even I, am he who blots out
your transgressions, for my own sake,
and remembers your sins no more."
Isaiah 43:25


Will we be commended by Jesus for our faith? Is our Father proud of us? Is the Spirit empowering us? All we can do is fix our eyes on Jesus, know that all of heaven is cheering us on and remember that God is much better than we can possibly imagine and that faith in Him is so worth it.