Sunday, July 26, 2009

U2 Croke Park, Dublin, 25 July 2009.



2nd night of U2's 3 night stand in Dublin was a very different experience to the first night. Jane & I and Alan & Ruth (brother & sister in-law) went and as the ladies where with us we had seated tickets. It's interesting how different it is. Being in the pit feels like you're part of the whole experience and your focus is completely on the band and even if they play a dud song (like Desire or Angel of Harlem) you feel caught up in the moment. However when you're siting it's more like watching a show. An amazing show at that but you're more of a spectator than a participant I felt. Things I couldn't take in the first night like the pure spectacle that the show really is, from the lights, to the stage, to the mirror balls and the 79,999 other people in the stadium that you could see rockin it out. It was awesome watching the whole pitch jump up and down to Beautiful Day and Vertigo. It was so cool to be there with our ladies and to be able to see the show in a whole different way to the Friday show. I also got to see a girl from work Eithne before the show who I hadn't seen in 7 months which was great. Nice to have someone from home tell me they like my beard for a change!!
The setlist on Friday was definitely better for me due to them playing Until the End of the World and Bad, but hearing 80,000 people sing the first verse and chorus of I Still Haven't Found... without help from the band was awesome and In a Little While is a cracking little tune. I was stoked to hear Unknown Caller which is an outstanding track from the new album.
One last thing, Moment of Surrender is the best song on the new album and is one of their finest but for some reason it doesn't work as a closer. Also interesting that the encore is nearly the same as a whole stretch of the Zoo TV tour 17 years ago, which had Ultra Violet, With Or Without You and Love Is Blindness.
Mondays show will be awesome. Hope everyone who's going loves it. Here's the setlist from Saturday.

1. Breathe
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Beautiful Day / Here Comes The Sun (Snippet)
6. Mysterious Ways
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Stand By Me (Snippet)
8. Angel Of Harlem / Don't Stop Til You Get Enough (Snippet)
9. In A Little While
10. Unknown Caller
11. Unforgettable Fire
12. City of Blinding Lights / Rain (Snippet)
13. Vertigo / Thunderstruck (Snippet)
14. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix) / Come All Ye Faithful (Snippet)
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (Snippet)
16. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
17. MLK
18. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (Snippet)
19. Where The Streets Have No Name
20. One

Encore:
21. Ultraviolet
22. With Or Without You
23. Moment of Surrender